Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Weekly Wikipedia Find: Borscht Belt

This week's entry isn't so much a find since I intentionally tracked it down.

I was talking with a comrade about comedy stylings after one more use of subversive wordplay on my part and he suggested that I was a man not of my time. Rather I should long to be a writer of the Restoration. There was a time when the wittiest motherfucker in the room was wrist deep in the best pussy. I responded that perhaps vaudeville would have been a more suitable environment for my talents. His argument was obviously more compelling.

It almost feels like I should be writing about the Restoration now, or at least vaudeville, rather than the Borscht Belt which has nothing to do with the former and only a very tenuous connection to the latter. The Borscht Belt, roughly a summer resort area in the Catskill mountains popular with Jews, is more notable for the humour which thrived in its confines. This comedy is often self-deprecating and usually of the rapid-fire variety. I put myself down often, but usually I think long and hard about it first. I obviously have a long way to come.

That's what she said.

Wikipedia by Week
Week Four: Swampman
Week Three: Chinese room
Week Two: Ambrose Burnside
Week One:
Lolita fashion

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home