Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Weekly Wikipedia Find: New Jerusalem

Well, Wikipedia has failed me. Okay, technically not. But I'm disappointed. I couldn't exactly find what I wanted. It's there a little, but lacks the depth, the depth of argument, that I wanted.

What I'm talking about is New Jerusalem. But not any New Jerusalem, but what Wikipedia has filed under secular New Jerusalem. Thus, this week will be rather terse.

New Jerusalem is the city of the future, the ideal, the utopiate (I portmanteau'ed the shit out of that; "utopiate" is mine, bitches).

I was looking for something more, though. I swear there's a New Jerusalem associated with American Politics, if not here, then in my mind. I will find you. My Camelot. The American Camelot.

Until then, here's a Crime and Punishment reference to satisfy my painful hard-on for Crime and Punishment:

"[M]asses set these criminals on a pedestal in the next generation and worship them (more or less). The first category is always the man of the present, the second the man of the future. The first preserve the world and people it, the second move the world and lead it to its goal. Each class has an equal right to exist. In fact, all have equal rights with me -- and vive la guerre éternelle -- till the New Jerusalem, of course!"

--Dostoevsky. Translation by Constance Garnett.

Wikipedia by Week
Week Fifteen: Technological Singularity
Week Fourteen: Numbers Station
Week Thirteen: Culper Ring
Week Twelve: Mary Sue
Week Eleven: Byford dolphin diving bell accident
Week Ten: Deep-sea gigantism
Week Nine: Bloop
Week Eight: Rat king
Week Seven: Gustave Doré
Week Six: Tomorrow
Week Five: Borscht Belt
Week Four: Swampman
Week Three: Chinese room
Week Two: Ambrose Burnside
Week One:
Lolita fashion

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home