Monday, July 21, 2008

More on Watchmen

I briefly brought up the film adaptation of Watchmen, and I thought I would add a few more thoughts now, over writing anything substantial.

Two main things that are evident from the trailer which differentiate it from the book, other than living, moving people with sound.

Oh, and I should mention that Watchmen, the comic, was itself a sly commentary on the medium of comics and the superhero comic in particular. That being the case, I have also read an unsourced internet comment claiming the director Zack Snyder mentioned the film would likewise be a commentary on the superhero movie. My points kind of support that thesis.

1) The Smashing Pumpkins' track "The End is the Beginning is the End." The big tie-in song for the atrocious Batman and Robin was the Smashing Pumpkins' "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning." The version here is an alternate version with a slower tempo (and more?) that closes that films soundtrack and might have also been over the closing credits. Thusly it implies a darker take on what was essentially camp.

2) Nipples. There be nipples on Ozymandias' molded suit armour. Just like Batman (and Robin) in, yes, Batman and Robin. This makes sense as the Batman franchise had devolved into giant toy commercials by that point and in the comic, Ozymandias was always the most commercial of heroes, having built an industry on his image and if I remember correctly (and I believe I do) selling his own Ozymandias action figures (pet lynx Bubastis toy sold separately).



Sort of related (had I not titled this point "Nipples") is the sort of modern rubber suit that Nite Owl II wears over the more traditional spandex (Batman-esque) costume he wears in the comic. This is an obvious references to the sort of costumes the movie Batmans have worn.



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home