Friday, July 18, 2008

Hype: Most Anticipated 2008+

Having now seen The Dark Knight, what am I looking forward to next?

A brief aside on The Dark Knight first. Amazing. It was truly a film. Not a superhero movie. More than that. A crime drama. I remember hearing beforehand (mostly likely based on the opening bank heist scene that was released last December) that it would be Heat-esque. But about halfway through the film, I thought to myself for a moment, this is kind of reminding me of The Departed. This is a crime epic. An ensemble. And so many great moments. I can't wait to see it again.

A lot of big movies, and not just superhero movies, but action movies, summer blockbusters just feel like a bunch of set pieces tied together. Like they have the budget for 3 big set pieces, and the story is kind of built around that and services that. Iron Man felt a bit like that, but thankfully was able to overcome it on the strength of the acting and what the actors had to work with. The Dark Knight did not feel like that. It felt breathless. Never letting go. Constant momentum. I'm sure some enterprising soul could still break it down as a series of set pieces. But The Dark Knight did not feel like that.

That aside, what's next. Originally I was just going to bring up Che, which I hope comes out this year, but there was also a Watchmen trailer that was just released. And while I'm sure it can never live up to the comic book (ahem, graphic novel), it is looking good. Here's the direct link to the trailer in Quicktime. That shot of Mars gives me chills.

Now the Che that I'm talking about is really two movies: The Argentine and Guerilla, both directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Benicio del Toro as the titular Ernesto Guevara. These films played as one at this year's Cannes but last I heard had no current North American distribution. Together they're supposed to account an 260-minute epic. But I've heard it described as a masterwork and am thusly excited.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home