Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Audience Demographics

Yesterday, we had "the talk."

But let's follow up, see how we're doing one day later.

Specifically, there was mentioned on having a certain audience. Some of us would rather play to certain audiences. And this can be different from person to person. This reminds of something from "the dread" years a.k.a. high school.

So there's a bunch of us sitting in class. It's a small glass. And all guys. This is not technically true. As this class is actually two courses, and segregated as such. But this class, I speak of was this second year version of the other half of the class. Just the other half outnumbered this half by at least four hundred percent but not more. None of this is really important.

So we're talking to our teacher, maybe, or watching a video, or a teacher is trying to get us to be quiet and get back to work, or watching that video, but we're a bunch of guys and are belligerent as such. Now, we're seated in about two rows and I'm at the end of the row, farthest away from everything.

So with all this talk, or video or whatever, there is the opportunity to make light of, to take advantage of the material, to comic, often hi-larious (patent pending), effect.

But me, being me, am telling jokes, perhaps subtly, but definitely conversationally to the guy next to me.

And this guy, being this guy, is retelling the jokes, loudly and to everyone else in the class, literally word for word, and getting laughs from all.

Now I would call this guy my friend, but I was proud of who I was, and I did not envy him.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home