Friday, February 29, 2008

Music Review: Under the Blacklight

I know I'm late to the party. But there's barely anyone at the party. Still I dig it.

It's...

Under the Blacklight

Rilo Kiley

2007.

Semi-literate thoughts:

Love any song with Jenny Lewis' twang. Dislike any song with leads by Blake Sennett (i.e. "Dreamweaver"-- although, on another listen "Dreamweaver"'s not bad). This really feels influenced by the brilliance that was Jenny's sideways endeavour-- Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins. As such, most of the album is carried by Jenny's vocals. It feels country, garage, techno, garage, I don't know what, indie rock.

And it's a very sexy album at that. It's mostly a thematic, but it feels like it could be a concept album.

Here's the video for "The Moneymaker." My favourite song is probably track nine, though, "Smoke Detector."



Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home