Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Putting a Good Book Down

I've been reading the Iliad.

I can't take it any more at the moment. I'm going to take a break. I realize at this point, that while there are parts that I like, I'm just reading it for tone. No plot, character, even dialogue is getting through.

Sadly, I've come to realize it's going to be one of those books I admire and respect, but can't love. And I do admire and respect. It's got an amazing structure, for one.

But the thing is, I thought the Odyssey was amazing. It actually touched me. I'll write how it touched me some other time, but...

The Iliad... this is my second go at reading it. I first read the first 8 books back in September/October for a course before abandoning it as unneeded to get by. Now 8 more books. So I do plan on reading those last 8 books, just not at the moment.

Next in the queue, though, is Marisha Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics; should be much more palpable. I can already taste the palp.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home